Sunday, November 2, 2014

Calm Before a Storm









Sarah awoke to dim rays of sunshine coming through the windows. She checked her surroundings, the murals didn’t seem to move at all and once she’d gotten to sleep, she had rested as well as could be expected. She got out of bed and began dressing. After a light tapping on the bedroom door, Gemelda entered. “Oh you’re awake. The cooks have begun preparing breakfast. The Prince would like you to join him.” Sarah sighed. “I’ll be down in a short while.” Gemelda gave her a warning look. “Do not tarry. You wouldn’t want to upset him.” Sarah thought she didn’t care whether she upset him or not. “I’ll be there” she replied. Gemelda left the room. Sarah looked in the mirror. “Well Prince, you’ll have to accept me the way I am. I have no extra clothes here” she said aloud to herself. After brushing her hair and tying it up, she headed downstairs to the kitchen area. The Prince was already seated, food in front of him, but untouched.
She slowly approached him as he stood and pulled out a chair opposite him. “Ah Miss Sarah, please sit.” “I’m sorry for my appearance. I have no other clothing here.” She sat down. “Perhaps we can arrange getting some of your belongings here.” “This was an emergency stay. I don’t plan on making it a habit.” He simply smiled. “I hope you slept well. Staying here” he gestured with a sweep of his hands, “can be intimidating to some people, but I assure you, you’re completely safe here.” He motioned for a servant. “See that Miss Sarah gets whatever she likes.” “Miss Sarah, we have eggs, sausage, biscuits, potatoes, juice and coffee.” “I’ll just have two eggs some sausage and a biscuit along with some juice. Thank you.” “So, what are your plans today?” “Of course I’ll look in on Annabelle but later today I must head home. I’m sure my father is concerned.” I’ll send a soldier to pass the word as to your safety.” “That’s not necessary. Has my horse been found?” “Yes. She’s in the stables now, all fed and groomed.” “I don’t know how to repay you.” “You’re presence here is payment enough.”
They continued to visit cordially until he had to attend to business. “If you’ll excuse me” he said. He bowed, turned on his heels and strode off. Shortly after she thanked the staff and went up to Annabelle’s room. They had a good visit and Sarah was pleased that her care was helping her health improve. After several hours it was time for Sarah to head home. The two of them said their goodbyes and Sarah promised to return the next day, although it would be later in the day. Just before she headed out the door she heard angry voices. Nervously she stepped into the long corridor. The sound seemed to be coming from a lower floor. She slowly descended the staircase. She neared the bottom just in time to see Edward Pompidou being chased by Peter Skarbalius through a side door of the castle. “He’ll get his for sure” she overhead a maid saying. “That man is positively revolting” another said.
Edward was an old family friend, but his trust was quickly fading as he had taken an interest in Peter’s young, defiant and indiscriminate daughter. The two of them had gotten caught in an empty bedroom about to disrobe. The man is fifteen years older than she and Peter felt that he had no business with his daughter, a woman, though grown, so many years younger. The flash of a blade shone just before he made his exit.
Nervously, Sarah made way to the main entrance and outside where her horse and two soldiers were waiting.

#BoroughHall #literary #books #kindle #erotica #paranormal #Bordua #drama #vampire #historical #romance #http://bit.ly/BoroughHall

No comments:

Post a Comment