Sunday, November 16, 2014

Love and Graves





The landscape was bathed in the afternoon sun as Sarah walked through the gardens. At last she felt comfortable and more importantly, protected on the castle grounds. Victor had allowed her to plant an herbal plot there and expressed his understanding of her need for providing ministrations to the residents of Dubrovya and making frequent visits to her father. She took time sniffing the fragrances of the many flowers and shrubs growing on the grounds, tending to a few of them.

She found herself at the gates of the Royal Cemetery and entered. She’d been there before, spending time reading the inscriptions on the headstones. Two new graves had appeared shortly after her wedding, but her questions went unanswered. Her instincts told her though. One of the graves was small and the headstone simply stated “Here lays a lost child. God heal her wounds.” The other, some distance away lay perpendicular to all the others. That stone said “Evil will not prevail here.” She had wept when she first discovered the new internments. Now, there was a new grave, this one also perpendicular to the others. “No man shall wander the House of Skarbalius with envy in his soul and greed in his heart.” She didn’t dare ask whom that might be, but one of the more outspoken and defiant male family members had disappeared shortly after her encounter in the cave.

After a long while she returned to the castle in time for dinner. “I trust you enjoyed your walk in the gardens?” Victor asked. “Yes I did. Thank you for my herbal garden.” “I want you to be happy and comfortable here. What were you doing in the cemetery so long?” She bent her head down for a moment and stopped eating. “I said a few prayers for the deceased.” “I see.” He refilled her goblet with wine and covered her hand with his. “You have no idea how your beauty affects me.” She almost smiled, but her shyness took over. “You could have married anyone.” “I did not want ‘anyone.’ I wanted you for my wife.”

When dinner ended they sat in a small room with other family members drinking wine, exchanging stories and winding down from the day. Sarah lay against Victor feeling safe in his arms, which pleased him. Various family members tried to bring up business, but Victor would have nothing of it. “We’ll discuss this matter tomorrow” he repeatedly said. The patriarch of the family spoke out. “When I ruled, we never put off business. We dealt with it here and now!” “I understand that. But cooler heads prevail under the light of day. We’ll discuss these things in the morning. That’s final. Now if you don’t mind, my wife and I are going to retire.” He stood, took Sarah by the hand and led her away.

Once in the bedroom, Sarah went into the bathroom to change into her bed clothes. Returning she turned down her bed. “Sarah, come to me.” He had removed all but his trousers and he looked positively virile and handsome. He took her in his arms. “When will you allow me inside?” “I’m afraid.” “Don’t be.” “You are the most important thing in my life.” He took possession of her mouth and she responded to him. For the first time, they made incredible love. He gave her great pleasure and satisfaction and her life would never be the same.

#Bordua #blogspot #danger #love #royalty #beauty #murder #secrets #Sarah #Skarbalius
Take a look at “Borough Hall”

No comments:

Post a Comment